Dr. Domenico GIUSTINIANO
Research Associate Professor
- PhD: Telecommunication Engineering - University of Rome "Tor Vergata". Italy, Italy
- Former position: Senior Researcher & Lecturer. Communication Systems Group (CSG). Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich). Switzerland
- Joining date: November 2013
Dr. Domenico Giustiniano is Research Associate Professor (tenured) at IMDEA Networks Institute and leader of the Pervasive Wireless System Group. Dr. Giustiniano is leader of the OpenVLC project, an open-source platform for research in visible light communication networks and co-founder of the non-profit Electrosense association, a crowd-sourcing initiative to collect and analyse spectrum data. Before joining IMDEA, he was a Senior Researcher and Lecturer at ETH Zurich. He also worked for a total of four years as Post-Doctoral Researcher in industrial research labs (Disney Research Zurich and Telefonica Research Barcelona). He holds a PhD in Telecommunication Engineering from the University of Rome Tor Vergata (2008).
The original contributions Dr. Giustiniano has made to his field of research are exemplified by publications in international and highly competitive conference venues such as ACM MobiCom (3), ACM Mobisys (2), ACM CoNEXT (9), IEEE INFOCOM (3), ACM/IEEE IPSN (5), ACM HotNets, and journals such as IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (2), IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (3) and IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. He has been general co-chair of EWSN 2018 and of IFIP/IEEE SustainIT 2015, and regularly serves as TPC member in top conferences. He is the project coordinator of the H2020 European Training Network ENLIGHT’EM on low-energy Visible Light Communication for IoT (2019-2023). Dr. Domenico Giustiniano is senior member of IEEE and ACM.
For an up-to-date and complete list of my research publications, you can visit my Google Scholar profile (sort it by year to see my most recent publications).
A PDF version of my full CV is available here.
- M. Mir, B. Genoves, A. Varshney, D. Giustiniano, “PassiveLiFi: Rethinking LiFi for Low-Power and Long Range RF Backscatter”, ACM Mobicom 2021, New Orleans, USA, January 2022.
- M. Rea, D. Giustiniano, “Location-aware Wireless Resource Allocation in Industrial-like Environment”, IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing, June 2021.
- A. Galisteo, A. Varshney, D. Giustiniano, “Two to Tango: Hybrid Light and Backscatter Networks for Next Billion Devices”, ACM Mobisys 2020, Toronto, Canada, June 2020.
- B. Reynders, F. Minucci, E. Perenda, H. Sallouha, R. Calvo, Y. Lizarribar, M. Fuchs, M. Schafer, M. Engel, B. Van den Bergh, S. Pollin, D. Giustiniano, G. Bovet, V. Lenders, “SkySense: Terrestrial and Aerial Spectrum Use Analysed Using Lightweight Sensing Technology with Weather Balloons”, ACM Mobisys 2020, Toronto, Canada, June 2020.
- A. Galisteo, P. Marcocci, M. Zuniga, L. Mucchi, B. Genoves Guzman, D. Giustiniano, “Filtering Visible Light Reflections with a Single-Pixel Photodetector”, IEEE SECON 2020, Como, Italy, June 2020.
- J. Beysens, Q. Wang, A. Galisteo, D. Giustiniano, S. Pollin, “A Cell-free Networking System with Visible Light”, IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, April 2020
- M. Rea, T. Abrudan, D. Giustiniano, H. Claussen, V. Kolmonen, “Smartphone Positioning with Radio Measurements from a Single WiFi Access Point”, ACM CoNEXT 2019, Orlando, USA, December 2019.
- Y. Zeng, V. Chandrasekaran, S. Banerjee, D. Giustiniano, “A Framework for Analyzing Spectrum Characteristics in Large Spatio-temporal Scales”, ACM Mobicom 2019, Los Cabos, Mexico, October 2019.
- S. Rajendran, W. Meert, and D. Giustiniano, V. Lenders, S. Pollin “Deep Learning Models for Wireless Signal Classification with Distributed Low-Cost Spectrum Sensors”, IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, September 2018.
- M. Rea, A. Fakhreddine, D. Giustiniano, V. Lenders, “Filtering noisy 802.11 time-of-flight ranging measurements from commoditized WiFi radios”, IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, August 2017.
- R. Bloom, M. Zuniga, Q. Wang, D. Giustiniano, “Tweeting with Sunlight: Encoding Data on Mobile Objects”, IEEE INFOCOM 2019, Paris, France, May 2019
- R. Calvo-Palomino, H. Cordobes, F. Ricciato, D. Giustiniano, V. Lenders, “Collaborative Wideband Signal Decoding using Non-coherent Receivers”, ACM/IEEE IPSN 2019, Montreal, Canada, April 2019.
- J. Beysens, A. Galisteo, Q. Wang, D. Juara, D. Giustiniano, S. Pollin, “DenseVLC: A Cell-Free Massive MIMO System with Distributed LEDs”, ACM CoNEXT 2018, Heraklion/Crete, Greece, December 2018
- A. Fakhreddine, D. Giustiniano and V. Lenders, “Data Fusion for Hybrid and Autonomous Time-of-Flight Positioning”, ACM/IEEE IPSN 2018, Porto, Portugal, April 2018.
- R. Calvo, F. Ricciato, B. Repas, D. Giustiniano and V. Lenders, “Nanosecond-precision Time-of-Arrival Estimation for Aircraft Signals with low-cost SDR Receivers”, ACM/IEEE IPSN 2018, Porto, Portugal, April 2018.
- A. Galisteo, Q. Wang, A. Deshpande, M. Zuniga, D. Giustiniano, “Follow that Light: Leveraging LEDs for Relative Two-Dimensional Localization”, ACM CoNEXT 2017, Seoul, South Korea, December 2017.
- R. Calvo, D. Giustiniano, V. Lenders, A. Fakhreddine, “Crowdsourcing Spectrum Data Decoding”, IEEE INFOCOM 2017, Atlanta, USA, May 2017.
- M. Asadpour, K. Hummel, D. Giustiniano, S. Draskovic, “Route or Carry: Motion driven Packet Forwarding in Micro Aerial Vehicle Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, March 2017.
- Q. Wang, D. Giustiniano, “Intra-Frame Bidirectional Transmission in Networks of Visible LEDs”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, December 2016.
- Q. Wang, M. Zuniga, D. Giustiniano, “Passive Communication with Ambient Light”, ACM CoNEXT 2016, Irvine, USA, December 2016.
- V. Sciancalepore, D. Giustiniano, A. Banchs, A. Hossmann-Picu, “Offloading Cellular Traffic Through Opportunistic Communications: Analysis and Optimization”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (J-SAC), January 2016.
- M. Liechti, V. Lenders, D. Giustiniano “Jamming Mitigation by Randomized Bandwidth Hopping”, ACM CoNEXT 2015, Heidelberg, Germany, December 2015.
- D. Pfammatter, D. Giustiniano and V. Lenders, “A Software-defined Sensor Architecture for Large-scale Wideband Spectrum Monitoring”, ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015, Seattle, WA, USA, April 2015.
- Q. Wang, D. Giustiniano, “Communication Networks of Visible Light Emitting Diodes with Intra-Frame Bidirectional Transmission”, ACM CoNEXT 2014, Sidney, Australia, December 2014.
- A.Marcaletti, M.Rea, D.Giustiniano, V.Lenders, A.Fakhreddine, “Filtering Noisy 802.11 Time-of-Flight Ranging Measurements”, ACM CoNEXT 2014, Sidney, Australia, December 2014.
- M. Spuhler, D. Giustiniano, V. Lenders, M. Wilhelm, and J. B. Schmitt, “Detection of Reactive Jamming in DSSS-based Wireless Communications”, IEEE Transactions of Wireless Communications, March 2014.
- M. Asadpour, D. Giustiniano, K. A. Hummel, S. Heimlicher, S. Egli, “Now or Later ? – Delaying Data Transfer in Time-Critical Aerial Communication”, ACM CoNEXT 2013, Santa Barbara, USA, December 2013.
- D. Giustiniano, S. Mangold, “CAESAR: Carrier Sense-Based Ranging in Off-The-Shelf 802.11 Wireless LAN”, ACM CoNEXT 2011, Tokio, Japan, December 2011.
- D. Giustiniano, D. Malone, D. J. Leith, and D. Papagiannaki, “Measuring transmission opportunities in 802.11 links”, IEEE Transactions of Networking, October 2010.
- D. Giustiniano, E. Goma, A. Lopez, J. Morillo, I. Dangerfield, P. Rodriguez, “Fair WLAN Backhaul Aggregation”, ACM Mobicom 2010, Chicago, USA, September 2010.
- D. Giustiniano, G. Bianchi, L. Scalia, I. Tinnirello, “An Explanation for Unexpected 802.11 Outdoor Link Level Measurements Results”, IEEE INFOCOM 2008, April 2008.
- Our paper "PassiveLiFi: Rethinking LiFi for Low-Power and Long Range RF Backscatter" has been accepted at ACM Mobicom 2021 !