Collaboration Agreement for Research & Development with NEC Europe Ltd.
Research contract with NEC Europe Ltd.
- Financed by: NEC Europe Ltd.
- Duration: May 2011 to April 2012
- Contact: Albert BANCHS, Principal Investigator for IMDEA Networks
This project focuses on technology enhancements for WiFi-enabled mobile phones centred on research and development in the area of QoS and power saving. Two main activities will be performed: i) design and implementation of a generic power saving module able to emulate different power saving protocols and adapt to variable QoS needs and ii) implementation of an NEC proprietary power saving algorithm based on Wi-Fi Direct. In addition, research in this area is expected to lead to joint patent applications and publications.
The project will consist of the following tasks:
1) Design and implementation of a generic power saving module able to emulate different power saving protocols and adapt to variable QoS needs. The design should identify the different components of available Wi-Fi power saving algorithms and design software architecture able to emulate the different protocols and variations of them by simply combining in different manners the identified components.
2) Implementation of an NEC proprietary power saving algorithm based on Wi-Fi Direct. The implementation will be based on Linux/Android open source drivers, as specified by NEC. A non binding example of the required implementation is:
- Platform : ath9k open source driver for Linux
- Protocol: Notice of Absence (NoA) Protocol defined in Wi-Fi Direct.
- Algorithm: NEC power saving algorithm.
3) Research in the area of Wi-Fi QoS and power saving with special focus on Wi-Fi smartphones.