Dr. Ioannis STAVRAKAKIS
- Affiliation: IMDEA Networks Institute, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (U3CM)
- PhD: Electrical Engineering - University of Virginia. Charlottesville, USA
- University of origin: National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Athens. Greece
- Joining date: March 2017
- Leaving date: September 2018
Prof. Ioannis Stavrakakis (IEEE Fellow) (http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~ioannis/), is Professor in the Dept of Informatics and Telecommunications of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. He received his Diploma in Electrical Engineering from the Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki and his PhD in the same field from University of Virginia, USA.
He served as Assistant Professor in CSEE, University of Vermont (USA), 1988-1994; Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston (USA), 1994-1999; Associate Professor of Informatics and Telecommunications, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (Greece), 1999-2002; and Professor since 2002.
Teaching and research interests are focused on Analysis and Design aspects of networking technologies ranging from link to application layers: Social, mobile, ad hoc, autonomic, information-centric, delay tolerant and future Internet networking; network resource allocation algorithms & protocols, traffic management and performance evaluation; content dissemination, placement and (cooperative) replication in unstructured P2P and social networks; (human-driven) decision making in competitive environments.
His research has been published in over 220 scientific journals and conference proceedings and was funded by USA-NSF, DARPA, GTE, BBN and Motorola (USA) as well as Greek and European Union (IST, FET, FIRE) funding agencies. He has received 2 Marie-Curie grants for training post and has supervised about 20 Ph.D. graduates.
He has served repeatedly in NSF and EU-IST research proposal review panels and involved in the TPC and organization of numerous conferences sponsored by IEEE, ACM, ITC and IFIP societies. He has served as chairman of IFIP WG6.3 and elected officer for IEEE Technical Committee on Computer Communications (TCCC). He has been in the editorial board of Proceedings of IEEE (2015-), Computer Communications (2008-), IEEE/ACM transactions on Networking, ACM /Springer Wireless Networks and Computer Networks journals. He has served as head of the Communications and Signal Processing Division, Director of Graduate Studies, Dept Vice-Chair and Dept Chair.
- Dr. Stavrakakis’ stay from March 2017 to February 2018 was funded under the Chairs of Excellence Programme of the Comunidad de Madrid. From March to September 2018 he was a Chair of Excellence grantee from the UC3M-Banco Santander programme.
- Ioannis Stavrakakis is a member of the Scientific Council and of the Board of Trustees of IMDEA Networks.