Deadline for receipt of applications: February 27, 2023 23:59 AoE (28 February 2023, 13:59h Europe/Madrid Time)
IMDEA Networks Institute is a networking research organization whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas.
Languages required: Fluent in English and Spanish. All interviews will be held in English
Education Qualifications: Engineering degree in Computer Science, Telematics Engineering or Telecommunications Engineering. A Master’s degree would be a plus.
Role: IMDEA Networks Institute is looking to hire a System Administrator for the IT Department. This position will report directly to the IT Manager.
The IT Department is responsible to manage the Institute’s IT infrastructure and Data Center, from network to application services.
List of tasks and responsibilities:
- Systems Administrator
- Provide professional level knowledge, skills, and experience providing systems administration support for LINUX, Windows and MacOS workstations and servers, including the installation, upgrade, and maintenance and support of various operating systems and layered products that operate below and above the OS layer.
- Responsible for file system management, account management, backup/recovery (setup, testing, and implementation) security management, and operational support.
- Integrate workstations and servers in a seamless networked configuration with other distributed systems. These systems may include components of two or three-tiered client/servers model utilized on the Institute. This includes software distribution, software version control, middleware integration, etc.
- Develop system software and utilities as needed. Identify and resolve system problems in supported operating systems based on reported user requirements, trouble-shooting activities, and experience.
- Manage assigned contracts for equipment maintenance and technical services.
- Help members of other departments on the use of utilities and tools in the daily management.
- Network Security
- Responsible for the configuration and management of firewalls protecting the Institute’s border and critical components of the network infrastructure. Develop and implement static and dynamic Access Control Lists (ACL) on network routers and switches, including VPN connections to the intranet
- Configure and monitor network security systems and applications.
- Review operational measurement data to ensure security policies and alert thresholds are appropriate.
- Services incident response and network abuse trouble tickets in a timely manner and in compliance with the Institute’s standards and policies. Responsibilities include detecting network security violations, verification of security violations through research and forensics, performing network port shutdowns, and notifying violators for instances of virus infections, bandwidth over consumption, digital copyright violations and other forms of network abuse.
- Capacity Planning and Systems Engineering
- Participate in limited scope projects for the design, engineering and implementation of communications infrastructure required to support the Institute’s expansion efforts. Engineering activities will consider such factors as system effectiveness, reliability, configuration, and cost.
- Perform the development, testing and implementation of network code upgrades, system configuration changes and the integration of new services, equipment and protocols within the data and wireless network. Assists in efforts to enhance existing network services and to deploy new services.
- Monitor system growth and capacity. Reviews operational measurement data to identify when system resources are dimensioned to reach capacity. Recommend design changes or systems upgrades to prevent any future degradation of systems and network performance.
- Communication/Working Relationships/Ancillary Responsibilities
- Professional communication skills, written and oral, and working relations with other members of the IT department, IMDEA Networks departments, IMDEA Institutes, and outside agencies.
- Consult with system managers, application programmers, and other IMDEA Networks personnel on application support, utilities, and operations system planning.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the various technologies through literature, classes, exhibits, seminars, on-the-job training and other relevant training forums.
- Knowledge of and compliance with specific and detailed safety procedures and practices, and with GDPR.
- Programming: Shell scripting: bash, Perl, Python
- Network services
- HTTP: Apache, Nginx, Tomcat and reverse proxies configuration.
- SSH: Open SSH
- LDAP: OpenLDAP
- VPN: OpenVPN, IPSEC
- FTP (Proftpd) and Webdav
- Client-server architecture knowledge
- SMTP: Postfix
- Data bases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server
- Monitoring: Nagios, SNMP (network switches)
- Security: SSL/TLS
- Firewalls: Network-level (iptables) and Application level (mod_security, NAXSI)
- SSL certificates
- Desirable: IDS, forensic tools, security best practices, ISO 27001/27002, OWASP; Incidence response.
- Backup: Bacula
- Network equipment configuration: Dell, Cisco IOS, switches and routers (NAT, DNAT, VLANs), wireless access points
- Minimum DevOps skills: CMS (Configuration Management Systems): Puppet, VCS (Version Control Systems): SVN, Git
- Virtualization: KVM
- Storage: SAN: (iSCSI preferred), NAS, LVM (Linux volume manager)
- Protocol analysis: Ethereal, Tcpdump, Wireshark
Equal Employment Opportunity:
IMDEA Networks Institute aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Until a balanced ratio of men and women has been achieved at the institute, preference will be given to women if applicants have similar qualifications. IMDEA Networks Institute actively promotes diversity and equal opportunities. Applicants are not to be discriminated against in personnel selection procedures on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, religion or ideology, age, sexual orientation (anti-discrimination). People with disabilities who have the relevant qualifications are expressly invited to apply
This position was automatically closed on Europe/Madrid Time
- Remember to select the following option:
Research Engineer & Support: [Administrador de Sistemas / Systems Administrator] [BOCM] 
- Deadline for receipt of applications: February 27, 2023 23:59 AoE (28 February 2023, 13:59h Europe/Madrid Time)